Tuesday, February 2, 2010

...it happened...

The clouds parted, the HEAVENS opened, and we got the approval for the 2ND time, for Lincoln to be transferred back down to our hospital!! I can't believe this is really happening. After speaking with my insurance company MANY times I was under the impression it would be covered. On my last phone call to them they informed me it actually wouldn't be approved. I was super upset, but knew that it was what it was and I had to deal with it. I cried, then I got over it. Just when I had begun to adjust to the thoughts of what my new "hospital life" would be like, I got spun in a different direction again and found out the transfer WOULD be able to happen!

Good news on a good day :) Today is Lincoln's due date. Does it make me sad? No, but if I were in the same frame of mind when he was first born it would make me super sad. I am a little disappointed that Lincoln hasn't made it home by his due date, but as a friend once told me "This is Lincoln's story and it's going to be a beautiful one." [yes M, you said it....HUGE impact on me:)]. He's his own person and he will make it happen in his own time. Lincoln had a ROUGH start and TWO surgeries. When we had been working on breastfeeding for a week, I was starting to get a little frustrated that there wasn't a ton of progress. When he was wide awake he was definitely interested and actually did pretty well. But it didn't take very long until he was asleep again. I had a talk with one of the nurse practitioners and mentioned maybe there was more things we could be doing to make him be more awake, this was when he was around 36 weeks gestation. She kindly reminded me that "maybe we should cut Lincoln a little slack. He technically wasn't supposed to be born for another 4 weeks or so and he was a very sick little boy at birth. Also, with his condition with his head, he probably didn't feel very well and didn't feel like eating." I quickly came back down to earth and realized all of that was very true. With Hydrocephalus, there is a lot of pressure on your head because of the extra fluid. In turn, that would definitely make anyone not want to eat:headaches, nauseau and sleepiness??? Ummmm ya...I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING but sleep!



So, here we are today....waiting for Lincoln to be transported back by us. He is off of the nasal cannula and doing well with that! The most important step to be accomplished in order for him to come home is upon us. He has to take his feeds 100% orally. No more feeding tube for my boy! We can do this....we're so close I can taste it!!!

3 comments:

michelle said...

YAY! I am so glad he is getting moved back closer to you. He is so sweet. I want to hold him, so he needs to hurry and come home. It will happen soon!! Good Luck!

Karen and Joe said...

so happy to hear of the wonderful progress of sweet little Lincoln! Hope he get transferred soon and he keeps doing well and you get to have him at home soon!

Cory&SadieK said...

that is great news to hear that they are going to allow a transfer. I imagine it's very hard on you all to have to drive to primary children's all the time. I'm glad you shared the story about the Nurse Practitioner it helps remind me to be more open to what others wants are.