Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Fabric Flower tutorial

Seeing all the cute headbands and barretts has made me want to make some of my own! I was able to figure it out by looking online, who knew? In the meantime, I decided to make a tutorial of my own....This was particularly fun because that meant I would be taking the pictures one handed. It was a bit of a challenge, but all in all I think it turned out alright ;) It was good to practice my photography skills and my first tutorial.

Material needed: fabric, scissors, and fabric glue

Step 1: Cut any choice of fabric around a little over 1 inch wide. Depending on how long you cut it will determine the size of your flower. For bigger flowers, I cut the length at 44 inches. The length for the smaller flowers is 30 inches. You can choose whether those sizes suit your needs.
The type of your fabric will also determine the size.



Step 2:
For a little added character, I like to fray the edges by pulling some of the loose thread.



Step 3:
Crease the piece of fabric in half.



Step 4:
Open the fabric back up and apply fabric glue a little ways down. I purchased Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac from Walmart for $5.97



Step 5:
Press the fabric back over the glue and hold it for a few seconds to adhere. After that, roll a little portion of the fabric.



Step 6:
Twist the fabric away from the roll while continuing to wrap it around the roll. As you keep doing this, apply a few dots of glue along the way to keep the flower secure and in place.



Step 7:
.....keep going. How often you twist will determine the appearance of your flower. Do it to your liking.



Step 8:
When you're coming to the end of your fabric, leave a little extra. The bottom of your flower will look like this. Apply a fair amount of glue to the bottom and secure the extra fabric to give it the finished look.




Step 9:
Cut off any extra fabric.



Step 10:
This is the finished product!

No comments: