Tuesday, June 23, 2009

boo boo

Photobucket


We had one of the (other) biggest scares of our lives this last week. We moved into our new home the beginning of June, it is a two-story. On the second floor are three bedrooms, a bathroom & two lofts. In one of the lofts we have a media room for the kids set-up.On this last Tuesday, the 15th, Savana & Luke were upstairs watching a movie. I was downstairs cleaning the office. Savana ran down & informed me that Luke fell out the window. I yelled "WHAT?!?" and ran outside to find him lying on the ground. I FREAKED out, well freaked is an understatement. I ran inside to greet Scott at the door. He asked what happened and I told him. I ran inside to call 911. I knew I had to calm myself, but those few seconds before I found the phone, I found myself almost fainting. I reached the dispatcher and by that point, when Scott had found Luke out on the ground, he said he was actually trying to get up. It was rainy outside and the spot he landed on was rocky and muddy. Scott felt confident, after seeing all his limbs move, to bring him in the house. When the EMT's arrived he still had not lost consciousness, but was whimpering, grunting, trying to cry and staring off into space. They took his vitals, found they were really good, and found no external wounds ANYWHERE. They advised us to still take him to the ER for evaluation. We opted to take him ourselves instead of by ambulance.




Photobucket


{^he's fine here....only sleeping^}


When we arrived at the ER, they immediately sent us to the trauma unit. They did multiple tests including a physical evaluation, ultrasound, x-rays & a CAT-scan. He was in & out the whole time, but we did our best to comfort him and make sure he had his blanket. They informed us if they found ANY problems with him, AT ALL, they would transfer him up to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake. The results they had come up with after all the testing was 2 cracked ribs, a bruised lung, a bruised kidney, a cracked liver and 2 displaced vertebrates at the top of his neck. So, from that we were told he would be transfered up to PCH via an ambulance. The ride was about 50 min's & he was given morpin beforehand to ease any pain. When we arrived they did their own evaluations & their conclusion was he had 1 cracked rib, a bruised lung, a bruised kidney & loose ligaments in his neck. He had a neck-brace on and was to wear it until the neurosurgeon could make sure the results they found were accurate. They also wanted him to spend the night and a good portion of the next day in their care to keep an eye on him. When we got settled into a room he seemed to be in good spirits. They offered him a popsicle and he jumped right on it. He ate it fast! So fast in fact, it upset his little tummy. Scott called his brother, Shawn, to come to the hospital so the two of them could give Luke a blessing. He slept well through the night and seemed to be doing really well. The next morning when he awoke, I was laying next to him and running my fingers through his hair. I asked him if he remembered what happened. He said "yes, I fell out the window." To that I replied I loved him and was sorry it happened to him. I told him I didn't want him to hurt. He turned to me and said "I won't do it again." So sweet. It's difficult as a mother to know that sometimes our children, no matter how small, have to learn lessons the hard way. When I found him outside, in pain, purple and almost not completely there, I felt the most scared I have in almost my entire life. I felt so helpless. I wanted to fix him and make him better right then & there. I wanted the whole thing to go away and to have never happened. I was so grateful for Scott, and his brother. I was SO grateful for their priesthood authority and the comfort of a priesthood blessing. He's running around now like it never happened although there's an occasional pain in his shoulder. A trip to our Dr. Berry reconfirmed him being well.


Photobucket



Poor guy! I'm glad he's okay though. It is definitely another little trial we've had in life to make us appreciate our little ones and life in general!

6 comments:

Kristi Kroeger said...

YIKES!!! How scary. Man, you guys have had quite a year. Sometimes all those trials can be tough on Mommy too. I am glad everything is ok now though.

brookiebaby said...

OH MY GOSH! I about fainted just reading this post! How awful! I'm so sorry for him and you and your cute little family to have to go through that, and I'm SOOOOO relieved that he's okay! You've been through soooo much! WHen I get some time off of work, I want to come up and see you and your new house! LOVES!

Karen and Joe said...

OH my Gosh!!! How scary!!! I got chills reading that story! I'm soo glad he's ok, I know it's hard to see your baby get hurt. It's more traumatic for us moms than the indestructible little ones. Thank goodness they are built so tough!! :)

Megan said...

thanks everybody! He's still doing great!

Joy ~ Kurt said...

WOW! I can't imagine! That is so scary! I'm so glad to hear the happy ending to this story!

Hayley said...

Agh! I can't believe this. Poor sweet guy. You got me all teary. So grateful that he is okay!!!!