Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ch..ch..ch..changes

We quietly made a big change.  After renting our home for 2 years, the owner decided to put it on the market.  Then....they chose to raise the rent on us.  So lovely.  They actually put the house on the market last fall RIGHT before Thanksgiving.  It wasn't fun, let me tell you!  It actually didn't show a ton and we hoped we'd be able to stay there as long as possible.  After there wasn't a lot of progress they decided to get very aggressive with trying to sell it.  I would say it averaged out to be one showing a week right before we moved.  No big deal you say, right?  .....Wrong!  If it were my home and I were trying to sell it, I would have to suck it up and deal with the inconvenience of last minute showings, but....ding-ding-ding...it wasn't my house.  Not only did I have to try to be cooperative about strangers walking through my house, but we were paying more monthly for the torture, and I hate (absolutely hate) when people come over to a mess.  Believe me, by the end of it, I could care less if they walked through and it looked as though a tornado had hit just moments before their arrival (I'll admit, it was never that bad, but not as good as I would have wanted it to be). 
I went through a CNA program January-April, then began physiology at BYU, and next onto Anatomy.  So, to say the least, I had lot going on.  With things being so up in the air we decided to start scouting around for a house this summer.  We didn't want to be two months into the school year and be booted out of the house, and dealing with transitions. 
Scott has done a little bit of work here and there for a bank who owns foreclosure properties.  They hired him onto a job to gut and remodel a poor excuse for a house.  He showed it to me and we discussed the prospects of moving in and renting it after it was finished.  I won't lie, I was terrified.  I know Scott is a miracle worker and I didn't doubt his craftmanship, but the house really just needed a match.  He started the process of demolition and I really tried to convince him to look other places, but he was sure of his idea. 
Fun things started happening.  The neighbors immediately came over to introduce themselves after seeing Scott there multiple times.  They were ecstatic that something was happening with the place and thrilled by the prospect of good people moving in.  The bank gave us a lot of choices as far as wall color, carpet, tile, and we were able to customize a few things as well like the master closet.  Because of school, I wasn't able to watch the complete transformation, but got a few peeks here and there.  By the time it was done....he got my heart a fluttering (he's really good at that!!).  We gave our notice to our landlords and quietly starting moving boxes. 
There was too much going on in life to make a big production of it, so we went about our business and made it happen.  I could say I was partially hesitant to announce it since it made me sad.  The kids have been attending the same school Scott's mom works at.  Not only was it somewhat of a safety net to have someone dear watching over your kids daily, but it came as a huge help and convenience as well.  She would pick the kids up in the morning and bring them home when school completed.  Luke started kindergarten this year, which is the grade she works with, and more than likely, would've been able to see grandma every day.  Another thing, I have just LOVED Lincoln's therapists.  Since we were moving 22 miles away we had to switch programs, which meant having to switch therapists.  We did get to keep one of them, Terry our vision therapist.  She's awesome and we're glad we scored with her.
The neighbors are wonderful.  Let me tell you, I'm so happy with how we've lucked out.  We've had multiple neighbors come to introduce themselves with a house warming gift in tow. Each Sunday since we started going to our new ward, we've had  multiple people introduce themselves and new ones have continued since each time.  It's been a big change, but we're enjoying it.
Lincoln's therapist have turned out to be wonderful!  His PT is actually an old friend that we just happened to be assigned to.  They've upped his therapy and we're now seeing a speech therapist as well.  So, his sessions are as follows: OT 2 x per month, PT 2 x per month, vision 1 x per month & speech 2 x per month.  It sounds like a lot because IT is.  I've vowed that if it gets to be too much I will be cutting it back a bit.  I don't want to get overloaded, but I don't want to pass up a window of opportunity which they think we are experiencing right now.  More about him in a different post!
Lots has changed, but we're all healthy and happy so that's all that matters!

For some odd reason, the paint color in the picture in the kitchen & dining room look green.  Rest assured, the paint was two-tone green & purple & I was NOT inspired by it.  It's more of a tan. You can get a good idea of how it really looks in the master bedroom picture.

And who knows exactly why, but I don't have a picture of the front of the house.  I'll have to put one on here, but it definitely won't be today!  Ummm, I must mention, not only are we paying LESS for this house, but it has a GIGANTIC front/back yard, and a peach, nectarine, cherry and apple tree as well!!!

1 comment:

Megan B ♥ said...

So happy for you! For the beautiful house, the smooth transition of Linc's services, the friendly and welcoming neighborhood, everything! Yay!! It looks and sounds beautiful!