Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Water park ritual

Luke is a lucky kid.  When I was young (well, I still am, really...really?), I remember being envious of children who had their birthdays during the summer months, or the spring months, or really the fall months.  My birthday is December 29th, so as you can guess, it went unrecognized in many ways. 
I never had "happy birthday"sung to me by my classmates, and I never had the opportunity to bring in treats and be doted on because of my 'special day.'  I'll tell you the one thing I got, every year, without fail....Since my birthday is four days after Christmas, the classic one liner: "Here you go, this is your birthday present AND your Christmas present :)"  Very "unique", very "special", very.....disappointing!  Come on now, I know you're thinking I should have just been grateful for what I received, and of course, we can all think that now with our adult minds, but as an 8 year old...10 year old.....12 year old child, I wasn't very happy about it.  Not to mention the fact that I hardly had a real birthday party with friends because it's right smack in the middle of winter right along with right SMACK in the middle of Christmas break.  It seems like it would be good timing, but most of my friends were usually busy with family events.  Alrighty, I'll get off my soap-box.  I guess where I was going with this whole tangent was that we've had Luke's birthday party at a water park, a reservoir, or something water related for pretty much the last five years.  I love it!  I think the fun has worn out for him though.  He suggested somewhere else for his party this year, but I was able to talk him into it just one more time.  Next birthday he's dead set on going to Chuck E. Cheese's.  Sheesh....I guess I won't get to vicariously live through him anymore...hahaha.  I'm okay with that, anything to make my little man happy!

No comments: