Saturday, November 1, 2008

7 Years Ago Today

Seven years ago today I was relaxing in my bed enjoying my last few days of being lazy and getting decent sleep. Decent in comparison to what was to come. Scott and I were living in a house in Provo-Utah and he was working in Park City-Utah (which was an hour away). I was nine months along with Scottie and waiting for his arrival. As I lay in bed I felt a very strong 'kick', very different from any of the kicks I felt before. A little time went by and I started not feeling very well. When I got out of bed I discovered my water broke. Of course, being a first time mother I was a bit confused if this is what really happened and not sure what the next step should be. So.... I called my mother. She informed me, 'Yes, my water did break and I needed to get myself to the hospital.' I called Scott and told him we were having a baby he better make his way to the hospital. Well, with Scott being an hour away, my mom was an hour and a half away, my mother-in-law & father-in-law were at work I decided to drive myself to the hospital. My contractions weren't painful and I was already packed and ready to go. Driving to the hospital I was smiling, happy, and nervous. When I got to the hospital the nurses looked at me rolling my suitcase in and said 'Well, it looks like you'll be staying for awhile.' Scott got to the hospital in 45 min's. He said he drove as fast as he could. I arrived at the hospital at 9:30 am and waited the day out until my body and baby were ready for delivery. I actually started pushing at 3pm and continued pushing for a full two hours until finally my doctor informed me that the baby was pretty big. Finally at 5:30 with little bit of extra help our first born son had arrived and the moment I saw him I fell in love! He was so beautiful and I was the happiest woman on earth! I was so extremely tired, but relieved and content. Scottie's cowlick was very prominent and he looked like a little man. He was so handsome. Scott loved his little guy too and couldn't get enough of him. The few days he had work off he would hold little Scottie every moment he could. Scottie became very attached to his mommy. He obviously loved me very much because he couldn't be soothed or comforted unless he was in my arms. If anyone else wanted to hold him he didn't want anything to do with it. As the years went on he became the extreme opposite. He didn't want anyone to hold him down. All he wanted was independence and freedom. He was a very busy and happy little guy. As he grew he became more and more active. The first year we moved to Arizona all he wanted to do was to have friends to play with all day-everyday. He would unlock the door and escape outside. I would find him knocking on a neighbors door looking for a playmate. He was persistant on getting outside and would go to the extreme of climbing our 6 foot cinderblock wall and dropping down the other side to find friends. I had to buy a door lock that we could lock with a key from the inside and outside. Now, don't get me wrong, it sounds like this kid just needed to be able to play. I made sure he had time with friends, but the 1 1/2 hour wasn't enough. On top of that we had him in sports and pre-school. I have always thought he's just too big for his britches. Well, he is still very active, but he's also a bit more mature. He is sooo intelligent. Scottie could read before he started kindergarten and now all of the conferences with his teachers have shown he excells in all he does. One thing they count against him is he is a little too social (hmmm surprise, surprise). He does well with making friends with anyone and he has such a big heart. Scottie also has a special spirit. I see nothing but big things in his future and I'm proud to be his mother. He is such a wonderful blessing in our lives and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father entrusted him in our care. Scottie WE LOVE YOU!!!! Happy Birthday LOVE MOM AND DAD!


4 comments:

*~Sarah~* said...

HAPPY Birthday SCOTTIE!! He's such a hansome boy! Time sure does fly... I actually can remember him as a little 1 year old walking around. WOW

Skeemer Land said...

Happy Birthday Big guy. You are getting so big that I just can't tell you. I can't wait to see you.
You are so handsome.
Love Grandpa and Grandma

Megan said...

yup...we love him....I think we'll keep him for as long as he'll let us!!!

Joy ~ Kurt said...

Wow! The big 7. Your pictures made me cry! Im such a baby! I loved all of them! Tell him we say Happy Birthday!