Monday, May 7, 2012

Our Little Lady......

Brooklyn Rose

At 5:30 am, on the 10th of April, Scott felt a gentle touch on his shoulder.  It was me letting him know it was time to go to the hospital. I had been having constant contractions every three minutes and had finally gave in to the fact that I was in active labor.  He jumped in the shower as I gathered a few of my belongings.  I went to the guest room to wake up my mom and let the kids know what was going on.  The day before I had been at the hospital for half of the day with my sister as we welcomed her little baby girl into the world.  We had joked with the nurses about me being back the next day, but I wasn't certain that was the way it would happen.  To my surprise, it is exactly what happened. 
When we arrived at the hospital around 6:30 am, I found out that I was dilated to a 6.  The first part of my labor went rather quickly. I progressed from a 6 to an 8.5 in a short amount of time.  Once I got to 8.5, I hit a wall.  My labor paused and we were in limbo.  My sister had come to my room a few times to see how far I'd come along.  Keep in mind she had just had a c-section the day before.  With Lincoln, I had to have an emergency c-section.  I was determined to not have to deliver that way again.  Compared to the other births of my babies, Lincoln's birth didn't feel as intimate.  It didn't help matters that he was rushed away to the NICU because of his prematurity and how sick he was. 
My doctor ordered a small amount of pitocin to get things going a little faster.  It did the trick and got me dilated to a 10 not long after.  At first, the doctor discovered there was a bit of meconium in the amniotic fluid.  I was a bit worried, but he said it didn't look too bad.  They had a few people from the NICU standing by to rush her away just in case.  Luckily everything turned out perfect.
I pushed a total of 3 times and our baby girl Brooklyn was in my arms.  I couldn't believe how perfectly her birth and my pregnancy with her was.  I wasn't sure I was capable of carrying a baby to full term after our last two little guys.  To tell you the truth, I just knew I had to have faith.  I was perfectly fine following the promptings and my heart which told me there was one more little spirit which would complete our family.  I'm so grateful for the blessing she has been to us so far and I can't wait to watch her grow and turn into a beautiful young lady.
Once again, my sweet friend Shanna was there to capture these precious memories when Brooklyn was just a few hours old.



Savana had let me know she was very interested in being there when Brooklyn was born.  I asked her exactly how involved she wanted to be.  She informed me she wanted to watch the entire birth.  I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but after my dr reassuring me it was a very natural thing for her to watch and I shouldn't have anything to fear, I decided it would probably be okay.  I looked up a live birth on babycenter.com.  After watching it myself, I asked her to watch it so she would know exactly what she was getting herself into.  After she watched it, I asked her how she felt.  She was still determined to watch Brooklyn's birth.  She was very intense and intrigued the entire time.  It was exciting to see her interest. 

The rest of the kids finally got to come and meet little Brooklyn and spend some time with mommy and daddy!  Brooklyn also had a visitor from just a few doors down.

 
The view from my room the day she was born...


Getting ready to go home!!

No comments: